January 31, 2021

The Last Six Months at NITIE as Professor - Management & Industrial Engineering - February to July 2021

Professor, National Institute of Industrial Engineering (NITIE), Mumbai

Former Senior Professor, ICFAI Business School, Mumbai (2004 to 2006)

Former Professor, SPJIMR, Mumbai (2001 to 2004)

Professor, NITIE (1997 to 2000)


The formal service tenure will be completed by July 2021.

It is time to remember students of PG programmes, Training programmes, Fellowship scholars, and colleagues & administrators who provided opportunities and support in the required activities. I am very happy with the positive outcomes in both personal and professional areas. Can easily forget the negative events that are part and parcel of life and interactions.

I can feel good about the two global top blogs that I created. Management Theory Review and Industrial Engineering Knowledge Center.  They are used by students, executives and faculty members of all countries.

In this last term of teaching, thanks to Prof. Manoj Kumar Tiwari, Current Director, NITIE, I am learning additional things in the area of supply chain management from Prof. David Simchi Levi, Professor, MIT. I am teaching the subject, Manufacturing Strategy. The key areas in the subject, Technology and Process Strategy, Process Improvement Strategy, Capacity decisions for Internal Manufacturing and Supply chain manufacturing are of special interest to me from industrial engineering perspective also. I started my career in 1979 in the purchasing department of a manufacturing company and then shifted to production planning and production management of all ancillary departments of the company. In my first five years of teaching, I taught subjects related to manufacturing management and operations research. Hence completing the formal tenure by teaching "Manufacturing Strategy" is appropriate goal reaching effort. Only, recently, the fellow scholar, I guided in supply chain management got his doctoral diploma, fellowship of NITIE.

I did diversify into security analysis and investment management. My doctoral degree in that area is from IIT Bombay. I worked in stockbroking company as vice president (training) and supported the company during derivates introduction year. I developed ways of implementing Graham's analysis method (Graham - Rao Method) and Markowitz portfolio analysis method to get model portfolios of broking companies.

The urge to strengthen the industrial engineering discipline as an alumni and faculty member of NITIE made me to focus on industrial engineering afresh. The effort helped in developing "Principles of Industrial Engineering," "Functions and Focus Areas of Industrial Engineering," "Industrial Engineering 4.0 Implementation Steps," and more papers highlighting the need for changes in industrial engineering discipline, academic curriculums and professional practice. Productivity management is a very important area, which is still underdeveloped in the management and industrial engineering disciplines. Productivity Science, Productivity Engineering and Productivity Management is the framework proposed by me to develop productivity management area in more depth and detail.

I am going to rearrange my files to do 5S for the future and in the process access details of various programmes conducted by me and try to say "hello and thank you" to the participants.



Pub on 1 February 2021


No comments:

Post a Comment