Strategic marketing capabilities are the firm’s capabilities involved in sensing and
relating to the market. Firms with strong strategic marketing capabilities (a) acquire, develop and use market information to serve their market and (b) perform activities to connect to the key customer and channel partners.
The strategic marketing capabilities construct include the following six categories:
(1) customer-driven capabilities,
(2) competitor-driven capabilities,
(3) supplier-driven capabilities,
(4) technology-monitoring capabilities,
(5) customer-relating capabilities and
(6) supplier-relating capabilities.
As a broad classification the first four components are a part of market-driven capabilities and customer-relating and supplier-relating capabilities are a part of market-relating capabilities.